Friday, September 19, 2008

Part XXIV

Part XXIV

Bruce opened a new terminal window and executed a search string. The monitors began to run trough an avalanche of data. One by one they settled, tumblers falling into place.

The last one settled on a map of the US. Each of the others was a pinpoint with longitude and latitude. The main monitor had five radiating ripple points, spread across the country.

Can you narrow it down?

Bruce swiveled in his chair and looked me straight in the eyes.

That is narrowed down Aubrey. He's in five pieces.

It took me a moment to wrap my head around it.

Reliquaries?

Bruce turned back to the bank of monitors.

Probably. But Aubrey, this isn't good. He can only last that way for a short period of time. Eventually the pieces will coalesce and then...

Yeah, then it's too late.

The printer next to the desk whirled up.

You starting from here?

Better make it Panama City. I need to gear up.

Bruce played the keyboard like a monkey plays a peanut. The printer started spitting out volumes. While it was running, Bruce reached down and pulled a flash drive from the USB port. He handed it to me.

Paper and secure, just in case. You can plug this in anywhere and bring the data back up. It's got a self contained Linux system on it. The host computer won't even know it's there.

I put it in my pocket.

What are you dealing with here Aubrey?

More like who. I'm pretty sure the Tall Man's behind this.

Bruce just nodded. He wasn't even going to allow my little moniker to pass his lips. He had a family.

What do I owe you?

A promise you won't get yourself killed. My wife likes you too much.

I'd be a liar if I gave you that.

Then give me a Sanctuary, in case word gets out I helped you.

That I could do. While Bruce bound the itinerary the printer had spit out, I pulled a piece of chalk from my pocket and got to work reinforcing his office.

As we climbed back up the stairs, I marked every step on the riser so the marks wouldn't get rubbed off. If something wanted to get down here, they'd have to fight every step of the way.

After Bruce closed the hidden door, I hit it too, the runes I was using were the oldest thing around. Once done I mumbled under my breath and the markings seeped deep into the surface. I did the same with the cooler door.

Outside, the crickets were awake, and the air felt thick and chewy. Bruce walked with me back into the bar. I stayed to the outside and he went naturally behind the bar. Around the corner, Carl was still in the corner booth. He had three more empty glasses in front of him. Bruce's wife just smiled at me.

I had one more sitting at the bar talking to Bruce and his wife. We talked about everything and nothing, just like regular folks. Cashing out, I said my goodbyes and grabbed Carl.

Just before the front door closed behind me, I mumbled under my breath and touched the door jamb. Only those who where welcome could walk through it now. It'd probably cause some confusion with people Bruce didn't like, but a few angry soon to be ex-customers were the least of his worries now. I'd implicated him and he knew it. If the Tall Man was behind this scavenger hunt for my Uncle's soul, then Bruce and his wife were probably going to get a visit soon.