Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part XXXIII

Part XXXIII

There was a light breeze that kept the heat rolling up off the dirt from getting too unbearable, as Carl and I headed across the arid plain. We'd both grabbed a piece of gum before we started so at least the mud in our mouths had a pleasant, if not somewhat gritty, spearmint flavor.

I'd left Carl to carry the water, and I took the bowling ball bag. I'd figured that the short time we'd be here shouldn't attract too many death runners.

About 20 minutes into our walk, my spine went cold and I held up a hand to stop Carl. I walked in an ever dwindling spiral until I felt the energy under my feet. I dropped the bag and turned my head while it made a plume of dust that drifted slowly away on the breeze.

I want you to turn away Carl. Look at the van.

Oh come on, what they hell'd you bring me out here for if I can't watch.

Carl, I need you to watch, but I need you to watch the van and tell me if you see any cars coming down the road. Can you do that for me?

Carl kicked the dirt and turned back to the van.

Fine.

I laid my hands flat just over the soil and moved them around to pin point the energy. Satisfied, I mumbled under my breath and made my arm vibrate out of phase. I plunged it into the soil up to my shoulder and squirmed around until I found what I was looking for.

This was going to be delicate. I mumbled again and unphased my arm in the earth and reached my hand around what felt like a fist sized rock. Phasing again, I pulled my arm back out of the soil. I let it vibrate a bit more and slowly returned it to normal, I wanted as little dirt as possible under my skin.

When I looked down, I had smooth black river rock in my fist. I set it down on the ground and unzipped the bag. I pulled the clear bowling ball out and laid it on the dirt next to the rock. Just for the fun of it I turned it so the skulls eyes could look at what lay before it.

I placed a hand on each of the objects and dug deep into my mind to make sure what I was about to do was as accurate as possible. Unlike normal, I started under my breath, then moved the words to my tongue, and then to my teeth, where they resonated. Then, I brought them clean out, crisp and clear. In my periphery, I saw Carl scream, cover his ears with his hands and drop to his knees.

A crack started to form under me, small at first, as the Earth tried to reclaim the stone. I shut my eyes hard, just before the brightness slammed into my lids, I turned away and felt my hands on fire. The smell of of the hair burning off my hands wound its way into my nose, and then it was over.

It took my eyes a bit to adjust, as though I'd stared at the sun, but when they finally settled, the rock was porous, like a dried sponge, and I crushed it to dust in my hand. The bowling ball was warm to the touch, but not too hot to handle. I put it back in the bag and zipped it back up. I wobbled for a moment, but finally stood and went to Carl. I placed a hand on his shoulder and he took his hands from his ears and rose like as though from a baptism.

Carl didn't say anything as we walked back to the van, but I knew he was scared of me now. He'd always been a little scared, but now he was just enough to be unsure, and a part of me was glad. Maybe this would send him back where he belonged, out of danger.

Back at the van, I rolled the side door open and placed the bag down. I unzipped it again and pulled out the bowling ball. I didn't know what I was looking for, and it didn't seem to have any answers. I set it down and stared into the skull's eye sockets. Nothing. Then, the Old Man sauntered over and gave it a whiff. Then the Old Man rubbed his face along the smooth surface and began to purr.

That was good enough for me.

The ball secured back in the drawer, I played apothecary, and made an unguent for the burns on my hands. They hurt like hell, but it felt good to hurt. This was the kind of hurt I could endure, the kind that wakes you up and makes you feel alive and full of purpose.

As we headed out of town, Carl refused to look at me and had rebuffed the few attempts I'd made at conversation. I'd get us separate rooms tonight, so he could have some time alone to think. Just as we hit the interstate, Carl stuttered out a question that even caught me by surprise.

I don't really know you Aubrey, do I?

I didn't hesitate.

No Carl, you really don't.