Saturday, May 23, 2009

Part XXXIX

Part XXXIX

San Francisco's China town is like no other. All major cities have one: London, New York, Los Angeles, et cetera. But, San Francisco has one of the oldest and richest. On the outskirts is a domino parlor called Shin Lee's. In the back is an office, and beyond that is one of the richest rare book libraries anywhere in the world, It's a collection maintained since the beginnings of the gold rush. The seed volumes brought over by Shin Lee's great grandfather, who arrived just before the gold rush. Since then it's been home to books that need protecting, old and new a like.

I pushed through the door and thought that maybe I'd made a mistake. In an instant, the chatter and clinking of dominoes came to a complete halt, as everyone turned at stared at me.

What's up?

The activity turned back to normal and I almost didn't hear the small kid, who'd pulled up beside me, over the chatter and clinking of clay tiles on metal tables.

You come with me.

I looked down. I swear to God the kid looked like Short Round from the second Indy movie, baseball cap and all. I nodded and he stepped in front and we weaved our way through the tables and smoke. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only person not smoking was the one coughing, and he lit up a fresh one as soon as he got whatever it was up and hocked it onto the floor.

The kid pushed open a door in the back and we continued down a long hall that ended in an elevator where a very old man, dressed in traditional peasant garb stood before the door.

The little kid looked at him and waited for the old man to give a small almost imperceptible bow of the head. The kid then looked up at me.

Good luck.

Thanks kid.

Then, the kid was gone and I was left standing looking down at the old man.

Why have you come?

I need to see Shin Lee.

Why?

He has a book I need to take a look at?

Why should he help you?

No good reason, other than it'll help me kill the Tall Man.

The Old Chinese Man pondered this for a second then rubbed his chin.

You are a very stupid man.

I can't disagree with you.

He nodded and turned to push the only button on the wall.

We waited in silence until the elevator arrived. It was probably just a few minutes, but it felt much longer. As the doors opened, he stepped aside and I stepped in.

Your Uncle was a good man.

The doors shut before I could respond. The elevator lurched and started its decent. I counted as it went, and stopped when I felt it hit bottom and the doors slid open. I suck at math. There was no way my rough estimate could be right. If I was, then I was about two hundred feet below sea level.

As I stepped out of the elevator, sensors detected me and illuminated the first twenty feet before me with lights set into the concrete ceiling. Shin Lee's little library looked more like a bunker.

I stepped out and headed down the hallway. As I passed each light, the one behind me went off and the one in front of me went on. It was odd. After about thirty yards, I came to a set of intricate hand carved wood doors that looked like they'd been ripped from a monastery. I stood waiting for them to open, nothing happened. I reached out to touch them, but pulled my hand back quick as I felt the energy burning off them. This place was locked down tight, and I didn't know if I was supposed to try and open them, or just wait for some one else.

The answer came a few minutes later. I felt the hairs on my arm drop back down as the protection spells were removed. There was a loud click, and the doors swung in. Just beyond the doors was another Chinese man, also dressed in very traditional garb. His head was slightly bowed and his arms were intertwined and covered by the sleeves of his gown. Once the doors finished opening, he turned and walked away from me. I followed.

I heard my own breath catch as I looked at what surrounded me. It was possibly the single most beautiful library I'd ever seen. My obviously loud intake of breath got me a small scolding as the man turned and held a finger to his lips. Librarians.

He led me across the main apex and to a large desk sitting at the back. Behind the desk sat Shin Lee III, dressed in an Armani suit.

Mr. B...

I wouldn't say it out loud if I were you. The Tall Man has very many ears.

Yes he does, but not within these walls. What can I do for you?

I need to take a look at the book of Shadows and Dust.

Good choice.

Shin Lee snapped his fingers and the Librarian scurried away, I assumed to retrieve the tome.

You got a nice set-up here.

It's definitely different that used to be. Please, have a seat.

I took a chair across from Shin Lee and we let the silence settle.

My father owed a debt to your Uncle. This gesture shall put that debt to rest.

Of course, and if I get what I need, I may then owe the Lee family.

No. If you complete this journey that you are on, we will all owe you.

I shook my head.

I do this for my Uncle, not for anyone else. There will be no debts owed to me when I am finished.

Shin Lee nodded his head in understanding, and I think a little respect. This business that we were in was all about debts owed and paid. I think he was a little relieved I wasn't going to ask for anything once I was done. Then again, I was sure I'd probably die in my effort, so why make deals now.

The book was smaller than I thought. The Librarian placed it on the table and gave me a pair of still wrapped white cotton cloves with which I could handle it. After the librarian had left, Shin Lee stood and buttoned his jacket.

Take all the time you need.

I stood.

Thank you.

No, thank you. If you are successful, we will all be able to rest more easily.

I laughed a bit out my nose.

I guess it's all on me then.

Shin Lee smiled and moved from behind his desk. As he passed me he placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

It is.

I heard Shin Lee mumble under his breath and felt a rush pass through me, not unlike grabbing an electric fence, just after you've stepped out of a swimming pool.

What was that?

It was the blessing of my great grandfather.

Thank you.

As Shin Lee's footsteps faded across the marble floor, I sat back down and put on the cotton gloves. I took a deep breath and opened the book of Shadows and Dust.